According to the paragraph 9 of the Package of Measures for the Implementation of the Minsk Agreements dated 12.05.2015, the State Border Guard Service of Ukraine takes further steps on finding the new ways of control regain over the uncontrolled section of Russian-Ukrainian border within the certain areas of Donetsk and Luhansk region via effective promotion of collaboration with the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe and OSCE Special Monitoring Mission to Ukraine (hereinafter - OSCE SMM).
Thus, the State Border Guard Service of Ukraine took the following measures to fulfill the required tasks of the President of Ukraine in 2016:
- Worked on the propositions concerning OSCE involvement in such issues as regaining control over the border;
- Participated in a series of conferences and high-level working meetings:
- March 3rd, 2016 – report delivered on SBGSU propositions to the Head of the state at the session of the National Security and Defense Council of Ukraine;
- May 6th, 2016 – meeting at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs on the possible OSCE Police Mission deployment in the certain areas of Donetsk and Luhansk region;
- May 19th, 26th , 2016 – meeting at the National Security and Defense Council of Ukraine apparatus on the possible OSCE Police Mission deployment;
- September 23rd, 2016 - meeting at the General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine on realization of framework discussion concerning practical implementation of Framework Decision of the Trilateral Contact Group relating to disengagement of forces and hardware dated September 21st, 2016.
Within the framework of cooperation with SMM OSCE:
- February 8th, 2016 - the meeting between the Head of State Border Guard Service of Ukraine V. Nazarenko and the Chief of the OSCE Special Monitoring Mission to Ukraine (SMM) Ambassador E.Apakan was held. During the meeting the current and long-term cooperation between the State Border Guard Service of Ukraine and OSCE SMM were discussed under circumstances of the present military and political situation. The main achievement of the meeting was the message of OSCE SMM that the border issues would be inscribed on the agenda of the regular subgroup session on security issues within the framework of the Trilateral Contact Group on peaceful settlement of the conflict in eastern Ukraine. Further subgroup sessions would involve the SBGSU representatives’ participation.
- The meetings between First Deputy Head of State Border Guard Service of Ukraine V. Servatyk and First Deputy Head of OSCE SMM A. Hug were held:
- February 9th, 2016 – the parties discussed possibilities of approaching of the leading patrol bases of OSCE SMM towards uncontrolled sector of the Ukranian-Russian state border via deployment of new patrol units of OSCE SMM within the certain uncontrolled areas of Donetsk and Luhansk region. During the meeting, the parties particularly discussed the issues of activity coordination along the line of contact within the Donetsk and Luhansk region and on the administrative line with the Autonomous Republic of Crimea as well as on the controlled sector of the Ukranian-Russian state border.
- April 7th, 2016 – the purpose of the meeting was the practical discussion of such issue as implementation of previously achieved agreements on cooperation and activity coordination. Border guards informed the representatives of the OSCE Special Monitoring Mission on the readiness to cooperate with field OSCE SMM offices in the context of informing them on the illegal armed groups activity, provocations, UAV activity and other events on the line of contact, as well as on the administrative line with temporary occupied territory of the Autonomous Republic of Crimea. Within the framework of the meeting, the parties have agreed to organize meetings on regional and local levels in order to work out the mechanism of interaction and discuss the practical implementation.
- October 17th, 2016 – the purpose of the meeting was the discussion of further cooperation and interaction support, especially in the context of implementation of Framework Decision of the Trilateral Contact Group relating to disengagement of forces and hardware dated September 21, 2016.
- January 3rd, 2017 - the first meeting in the current year between the First Deputy of the Head of the State Border Guard Service of Ukraine Vasyl Servatyk and First Deputy of the Head of the OSCE Special Monitoring Mission to Ukraine Alexander Hug was held. The purpose of the meeting was the discussion of the main achievements and results of cooperation between SBGSU and OSCE SMM to Ukraine in 2016, and determination of cooperation development priorities for 2017.
* When using the hyperlink to this page is obligatory